08 Jan How to Find the Best Hairstyle For Your Face Shape
The average woman changes her hairstyle around 150 times in her life. While we can credit much of this statistic with boredom and changing trends, it highlights just how hard it is to find the best hairstyle for you.
Even if you change your hairstyle often, you need to remain aware of what works for your face shape. Some styles will always look better than others, and knowing what hairstyle goes with your facial dimensions will help minimize regret when you eventually change your look.
Ahead, we’ll give you some tips on how to determine the best hairstyle for your face shape.
Determining Your Face Shape
While everyone’s face is unique, there are six face shapes to look for when trying to find the right hairstyle for you. You can take measurements if you want to get precise about it, but you can probably determine your face shape just by looking in the mirror.
Your face should fall into one of these categories:
- Round: About the same width as length. Narrower at the forehead and chin, with the widest points of the face at the cheekbone.
- Oval: Face is longer than it is wide. Forehead also might be a bit wider than your chin.
- Square: Face is about the same width and length. Unlike a round face, the forehead and chin are wider and more pronounced. Square faces are often characterized by a strong jawline.
- Heart: Wide forehead and narrow chin. Those with heart faces often have a widow’s peak as well, adding to the heart aesthetic – though this isn’t a universal characteristic of the heart-shaped face.
- Oblong: Much like oval faces, oblong faces are longer than they are wide. Oblong faces have narrower dimensions than oval faces, though.
- Diamond: Pointy chin and narrow forehead. Face’s widest point is at the cheekbones, with very sharp dimensions.
Best Hairstyle by Face Shape
Not everyone has a distinct face shape. For these people, haircuts can be much more versatile. If you do have a particular face shape, you’ll want to highlight your best features and downplay some of the negatives
Round faces benefit from longer cuts. Try to stay away from curling your hair or cutting it too short, which can make your face look even rounder.
Those with oval faces have a lot more options. It’s hard to go wrong with these hairstyles, but try not add height to your hair, as it will make your face seem longer than usual.
Use curls to limit the angular look of your face.
Use your hair to draw attention towards your eyes and cheekbones, and away from your pointy chin. This face shape benefits from short hair and bangs.
The best advice for an oblong face haircut is to keep it short and below the chin. You can get away with longer hair, but add some waves to prevent your face from looking too long.
Those with a diamond-shaped face probably want to stay away from bangs, as they’ll hide your already small forehead. This face shape also benefits from short hair or a swoop to one side.
Choose Your Best Hairstyle
Although these are the best options, there aren’t any set rules for how to properly frame your face with a haircut. You’ll need to account for the thickness and texture of your hair, and always wear what you find most comfortable and appealing.
Need any more beauty tips or a lead on some of the best products available? Take a look at our blog for more!